Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Required Post 3
Politics and Power

The role that politics plays in my civilization is very important. Practically everything that I do in the game involves politics to some extent. My first real political achievement (and the one I am most proud of) was the enacting of the social policy of Tradition. This was soon followed by the enactment of the Honor social policy. After these two social policies, I will confess I am not interested in the other social policies really. However, I continue to pass social policies because the game forces me. What I am really looking forward to political wise (as mentioned before) is when I can get to the stage where I can adopt an ideology, in my case Autocracy. (Which is an ideology that is personally close to my heart) 

Diplomacy also plays a huge role in the game as well. As much of the game deals with your relations to other civilizations and city-states. Now as far as my diplomacy usually goes, the doctrine of blood and iron are used a lot. Similar in a way to how the ancient Assyrians dealt with their Imperialism. Only my version is much more hands on then the Assyrians were. The implication here that I usually conquer cities, however this is not always the case. One city state very close to some of my major cities I have allowed to keep their autonomy and independence, preferring to make them my allies instead. For which they give me military units as tribute, which is why I have allowed their independence. In a matter similar to ancient Rome and Persia being that if you pay tribute you will be allowed to keep your autonomy. However, this was a very special case because I knew that if I conquered this city state their military tributes would stop. Another city state close to my civilization I gained as an ally unintentionally. It was a city state that France had actually told me not to have any influence on, to which at the time I agreed. However, the French eventually lost influence with this city while I gained it. So, given this the French left the city to be under my influence. I have left this city state independent as well. Gaining them as an ally instead.

Power struggles also play a huge part in the game, as the point is to win over the other civilizations. Here once again I practice a lot of blood and iron. I am almost constantly at war, either with a city state or another civilization. This of coarse has caused other civilizations to be weary of me. (I totally conquered Poland) However, I am still able to deal diplomatically and peacefully with the other civilizations, though it is harder considering they are weary and guarded against me. As of now I have plans to end the game by employing a mixed strategy. After I defeat France, I plain to gain influence on the city states on the continent. (France and I share a continent) After which I hope to gain enough influence to win diplomatically. However, if the need should arise and I am forced into war with Russia, then I will gain victory by domination. I would however like to avoid war with Russia if at all possible, because they seem to be as powerful as I am. A war with them would drag on for a while. Either way I am confident my civilization will prevail. The Fatherland will triumph!

Deutschland Uber Alles

Germany Above All

       

No comments:

Post a Comment